Full stack developers are the backbone of our daily websites and apps we use. Most of the time, web developers specialize in a single area, either the back end or the front end. In contrast, a full-stack developer does it all. Getting a Full Stack Developer Certification can work wonders for your career as full stack development is one of the top skills recruiters look for nowadays.
The world’s obsession with apps means the demand for full-stack developers is growing daily. You have come to the right page if you want to know what to learn to become a full-stack developer. The path may not be easy, but it is fairly straightforward, such that a person with zero knowledge about web development can be a full-stack developer within a few months. Read on to learn the steps to become a full-stack developer.
Who is a Full Stack Developer?
Before learning how to become full-stack developer, you need to know who is a full-stack developer. There are two classifications of web development, front end, and back end. Back-end development entails the work behind the scenes covering APIs, databases, servers, and more. The other end, the front end covers the user interfaces like the design and graphical elements.
A full-stack developer starts from scratch and builds the app, handling both front-end and back-end tasks. Their versatility makes them invaluable when it comes to web development. If the front end is the tip of an iceberg, then the back end is the part underneath the water surface. Both are necessary for the working of any app or website.
What Does Full Stack Developer Do?
How to Become a Full Stack Developer [Step-by-Step Guide]
To become a full stack developer, you would need to hone a wide range of skills and boost your credentials with the required certifications. Below is your quick guide to becoming a Full Stack developer.
Step 1: Master Skills
A) Required Skills to Become Full Stack Developer
Many people ask, “How long does it take to become full stack developer?” The answer lies in the time you need to master the front-end and back-end skills. We have provided you with a breakdown of the necessary skills so that you have working knowledge regarding what to learn to become full stack developer.
- Choose Your Front-End Developer Stack
The first step how to become a full-stack developer from scratch is to identify which front-end developer stacks you should learn.
- Strengthen Your Front-End Development Skills
- Choose Your Back End Developer Stack
The next step in how to be a full-stack web developer is choosing your back-end stack. A good place to start is with Node.js and Express.js. You require both for back-end scripting. Back-end development is one of the most important facets of the web development process, as the efficiency of an application is dependent directly on back-end optimization.
Programming languages such as Java, Python, and PHP are a must on the list of back-end development skills. These will make sure the application remains functional without any hindrance.
- Strengthen Your Back End Development Skills
You must remember that mastering back-end skills is a long process. When faced with the question of how long to become full stack developer, it takes time to perfect the skills. You will get a good grip on the skills as you work on more projects. Writing back-end code in PHP, C#, or Python can add to your resume and help you to become the best full-stack developer.
Along with back-end skills, you must learn about databases. Some popular choices include MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle Database, and SQLite. A developer writes codes for performing relational mapping, taking data from the database. Information about caching options like Varnish and Redis can work well with your knowledge of databases.
- Required Server/Hosting Skills
Web hosting skills are a must if you want to know how to learn full stack development. Hosting platforms allow users to access your developed website or application from the World Wide Web. Some popular servers you need to learn the usage of are Heroku, Google cloud platform, Amazon web services, and Microsoft Azure.
- Choose Your Full Stack Developer Frameworks
Front-end frameworks are the place where you will spend a chunk of time. Mastering anyone can land you a number of jobs. A few popular ones are Angular, React, and Django. Developers use frameworks to optimize and create websites. Full stack developers use Angular, which is useful for single-page applications. Django, written in Python language, supports databases like Oracle and MySQL. While React is useful for creating UI, Symfony can help in the creation of robust applications. Depending on your preference, choose your framework.
- Build Project Management Skills
If you still need to know how to learn full-stack web development, you must possess a few soft skills.
- Time Management Skills: You should know how to manage your time without missing deadlines while completing the tasks properly.
- Creativity: You must keep the target audience in mind while creating a project and plan accordingly.
- Analytical Skills: You must be aware of how to analyze data accurately and perform logical decisions that help in efficiency.
- Strategic Planning: You should have the aptitude to make strategic planning of a project from the designing, developing to implementing phases.
- Problem Solving Skills: Most importantly, to develop a website free from errors, you need to have quick problem-solving solutions. You must know how to predict errors, which will help the website's smooth operation.
- Build Command in Version Control Skills
Any application passes through a number of versions before you deploy it. A full-stack developer must learn version control skills, the most popular being GitHub. Version control enables the developer team to commit code to the ongoing project without fear of overwriting the source code. Subversion and Git are other version control skills you need to learn. It is quite common to use version control skills for a full-stack developer.
Identify and Build Your Skills Gap with Industry Requirements
With new technologies coming up every day, it is important for full-stack developers to identify which skills they possess. Thorough market research is the best way to learn full-stack web development. Make a list of the developer skill you possess – front-end and back-end. Analyze what skills you need to learn to make your work streamlined and more efficient.
Here are a few steps you can take to identify your skills gap:
- Make a note of the skills you need to be a full-stack developer.
- Research market trends so that you can identify what “future skills” you must learn
- Review the skills you possess at the moment.
- Make use of data to plan how to bridge the skills gap.
- Make this analysis of the skills gap a continuing activity.
These 5 steps will make you focus on the industry requirement at any time.
B) Full Stack Developer Courses to Learn From Scratch
Your query about how to become full stack developer from scratch will lead to the various courses on offer. It is common to get confused in the plethora of available full-stack developer courses. You can choose whichever way you wish to learn from boot camps, self-guided courses, and learning platforms. The list below can act as your primary guide, so make a note of these courses.
- KnowledgeHut Full Stack Developer Certification: The full stack web development course will instill all the skills you require to be a full stack developer. Getting hands-on practice is one of the highlights of this course. Everyone can attend the course and get the certification from novice to industry professional.
- FreeCodeCamp: You can learn full-stack development from the comfort of your home. Get enrolled in one of the free courses in web design, data visualization, and data structures.
C) Learn Full Stack Development for Free
- Javatpoint: This is one of the most reliable tutorial sites where you can learn a host of programming languages such as Java, Python, C++, etc. The best part is that it is a free site which means you can learn coding without any financial loss.
- Learnpyhton.org: The simplest site to learn how to become a full-stack developer in Python.
- Google’s Python Class: The free Python class offered by Google can be your go-to place if you are still searching for answers to how to become full stack developer in Python.
- YouTube: Undoubtedly, the best place to find free tutorials on full stack development is the world’s most popular video streaming platform YouTube. The possibilities are endless as you can learn everything – from the basics of stack development to
Step 2: Determine Your Ideal Timeline
You must decide what to learn to become a full-stack developer and determine a timeline around it to develop your skills within a short period. From choosing a format to deciding the stipulated date to end the course you must analyze everything before embarking on your journey.
Start to Learn in a Format That Suits You
You will find multiple educational routes that may pave your steps to becoming a full-stack developer. However, you may get caught up in a myriad of confusions during this time as a newcomer. That is why you can choose the following resources to help you decide the format that suits you the best.
- Boot camps
- Self-guided courses
- Degree programs
- Books and tutorials
How Long Does It Take For You to Become a Full Stack Developer?
Three months is the minimum time required to become a full-stack developer. However, you may take around 3-6 months to excel in the profession if you are a beginner taking hands-on courses and boot camps. So, ensure that you have at least a year-long timetable to develop your knowledge and skills.
Step 3: Begin Building Your Portfolio / Resume
A) Build Your Full Stack Development Portfolio
The first step toward landing a job as a full-stack developer is building a portfolio. Here are a few tips to remember when building your portfolio.
- The online portfolio will showcase the projects that you have worked on.
- Recruiters judge you based on the portfolio you provide them.
- You can add any project you are proud of and want to showcase.
- Use screenshots and describe the tools you used while creating the applications and/or websites.
- Use the GitHub site to publish your code, as it is a public domain that your recruiters can view if they want to.
B) Full Stack Developer Resume
Download the Full Stack Developer Template here!
Step 4: Where and how to find a job
A) Top companies are hiring full stack developers along with salary
- TCS full stack developer salary: $112,034/year
- Accenture full stack developer salary: $99,274/year
- Google full stack developer salary: $106,937/year
- Deloitte full stack developer salary: $87,406/year
- Cognizant full stack developer salary: $98,868/year
B) Full Stack Development Related Jobs Searching Journey
You have made a CV and a portfolio, and now you want to start looking for jobs. With the right skillset, eventually, you will land your dream role. The answer to how long to become a full stack developer can vary from a few months to one year. It depends a lot on your method of searching.
- Placement From Learning Platforms:
You can take the help of online education platforms such as KnowledgeHut to find placement opportunities.
Online job portals like Indeed, Naukri, Monster, and Glassdoor are the places where you can search for full-stack developer jobs.
Networking on LinkedIn can help you streamline the search and reach out to companies directly without any third-party meddling.
If you know people in your family or friend circle who work in the IT industry, it might be the ideal place to begin searching for recommendations in their respective companies.
Step 5: Ace the Interview
1. Prepare for Job Interviews
Before sitting for a job interview, you need to prepare for it.
- Find out everything about the company,
- Make a stock of popular full-stack developer interview questions
- List anecdotes that might help you.
- Never lie during the interview.
- Give mock interviews before you apply for the job.
- Complete coding challenges in a short timeframe.
2. Prepare for Behavioral Questions
Recruiters look for candidates who can work well with a team and be a part of the company. Only knowledge of how to become full stack developer in Java and CSS will not work. Find out common behavioral questions from the internet and prepare the answers. Devise answers on how you cope with daily challenges, stress, and work disagreements.
3. Prepare for Verbal Explanations
A recruiter might ask you for verbal explanations of coding that you have to show on a whiteboard. Explain logically why you use a particular method and how you come to the solution. Ask the recruiter if they have any specific requirements and act accordingly. Give precise responses without hiccups, and soon, you will be on your way to acing the interview.
Who Can Become a Full Stack Developer?
Anyone can become a full-stack web developer with the right guidance. If you are thinking about how to become a full-stack developer with no experience, then you are not alone. Millions of people have the same question, and the answer is to learn new skills. Learn skills such as Python, CSS, PHP, HTML, etc., to stand out from the crowd. The more skills you acquire, your chances of getting a lucrative job as a full-stack developer are higher. Gain insights about back-end development and front-end development, and also databases. You can become a developer in a few months if you practice daily and take up new projects.
Can I Become Full Stack Developer?
If you have the query “What should I learn to become a full stack developer?”, you are on the right path. With the right skills that you can acquire from Web Development Courses Online with Certificate, you can become a full-stack developer in a short time.
It is advantageous if you have any previous knowledge of coding and programming languages, but you need not worry if you are a novice. You can master the skills in a short span of time and start working as a full-stack developer.
Full Stack Developer Requirements
Benefits of Becoming a Full-Stack Developer
Here is a breakdown of the benefits of becoming a full-stack developer.
- You can learn how to code and build software applications.
- You get multiple placement opportunities in different industries.
- You become proficient in front-end and back-end development.
What Is the Demand for Full Stack Developers?
The demand for full-stack developers is high in present times because of their wide-ranging knowledge of essential skills required to build and modify software products and services. It is also considered one of the highest-paying careers in the world, with rapid advances in technology and software development. The full stack developer role is expected to witness a 27% growth by 2024.
FSD Job Roles/Titles
While there are no mandatory full stack developer education requirements, recruiters might prefer candidates having a degree in computer engineering, software development, and any related field. But you can even apply for job roles if you start from scratch. Master the stack developer skills, build a portfolio and start applying for jobs. Below are some common job roles to which you can apply.
A full stack developer works extensively to create web applications and ensures their smooth working. You need to have both front-end and back-end development skills to apply for this position.
- Junior Full Stack Developer
Your task will be creating, testing, and implementing different software and web services. As a full stack engineer, you will lead coding teams and supervise them.
You have to create, deploy and maintain APIs and become a mentor to a developer team. Your job is to ensure the smooth functioning of downstream systems.
Full Stack Developer Salary
The salary of a full stack developer in US is $102,663 per year on average. The salary range of a web developer average of $79,578. You can understand the immense scope you can get in your career as a full-stack developer. The salary varies depending on various factors such as experience, skillset, and location, which is why the large salary range exists. Click here to know more about Full Stack Developer Salary.
Salary Based on Location:
Want to know how to become a full-stack developer in 2023? A good full-stack developer knows how to operate full-stack developer tools. There are plenty of options to select from. The list below has been curated, keeping in mind that novice developers can gain from them. These tools will assist you in the development process without any fuss.
- CodePen: This developer tool is useful for building websites and deploying them. It will look after your front-end development part.
- Slack: One of the most important tools for a full-stack developer, Slack is a communication tool. Organizations use it to create workplaces for the team members to talk about specific projects.
- Visual Studio Code (VS Code): This is a source code editor which every full-stack developer must learn to use. A few features of VS Code are code refactoring and syntax highlighting.
With the advent of new technology, the demand for full-stack developers will only grow. This field has huge possibilities, and anyone who wants to enter the software development arena has the know-how about front-end and back-end development skills. You can start your goal of being a full-stack developer today by enrolling in the Full-Stack Developer Certification at KnowledgeHut.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can anyone become a full-stack developer?
With the right guidance and skillset, anyone can pursue the job of a full-stack developer. You need the right dedication to master the tools and skills.
2. Which language is best for full-stack developers?
There is no single language that you can pinpoint as the best. The most common ones developers have to master are Python, C#, and Java.
3. How to become a full stack developer in 3 months?
It is possible to become a full-stack developer in only 3 months if you put your all into it and do not pursue anything else. Learn front-end and back-end development and start applying for jobs.
4. Can I become a full-stack developer in 6 months?
Boot camp training is ideal if you want to learn full stack development in 6 months. Ideally, a year-long course will help you become efficient in your coding capabilities.
5. How to become full stack developer after the 12th?
While it is uncommon, you can learn coding after the 12th. Obtain a bachelor’s degree in computer science, learn programming languages, build a website, get an internship, and work either as a freelancer or in a company.
6. What are the full-stack web developer job trends?
Full-stack web developers are among the most sought-after specialists in software development in 2022. They are also among the highest-paid professionals worldwide.
7. What are the technologies for full-stack developers?
Full-stack developers require skills like front-end and back-end languages and frameworks, database management systems, web hosting platforms, version control, and networking technologies to excel in the profession.