A business analyst is an indispensable part of an organisation. He/she handles various processes and coordinates with various departments in order to ensure that the company is running successfully. The role of a business analyst is crucial because:
• In any project the role of a business analyst is important. He/she breaks down the large, complex project into smaller chunks so that the concerned teams can take it up and complete it easily. By breaking it down into smaller components, the testing and reviewing of the process are also easier which ensures that the customer gets the best possible version of the project. Once the project begins, the business analyst keeps track of all the progress achieved by each team. They also periodically check if the current progress rate matches the main timeline of the project plan. If the methodology used in the project is Agile and Scrum, the analyst hosts the daily ‘sprint sessions’ and spends 10-15 minutes to understand the progress and suggest changes avoid hurdles in the path.
• The project manager also coordinates with the business analyst to discuss the issues related to the project. The business analyst notes down these issues as risks in his/her risk management file. Once this is done, he/she carries out meticulous calculations and relies on various reliable sources for data and information to solve the problem. He/she then recommends the solution(s) to the project manager who then implements the changes into the required processes. Since the solution provided by the analyst is backed by solid data, the project manager doesn’t need to verify it again.
• In many organisations, they follow a protocol wherein the development team is not permitted to have a direct communication link with the client. Organisations believe that the developers are not trained in this aspect. In such a situation, a business analyst is required. The analyst communicates with the issues faced by the client and delivers the solutions provided to the development team and vice versa. To carry out this task successfully, the business analyst needs to have dynamic communication skills so that he/she is able to properly communicate with the client and the development team.
• There are many procedures a company has to abide by. These procedures can be written and modified only by people who have thorough knowledge about most if not all the processes running in the company. The ideal choice for such a task is a business analyst because they interact with most of the departments of the company for various project purposes. They will be able to coordinate with the different departments and get the required information. Since documentation skills is a prerequisite for this job role, he/she will be able to efficiently carry out this task.
• An organisation is always looking for opportunities to expand in new areas of the market which have a potential to grow. They can’t take a decision in haste and need thorough calculations and analysis to take this vital decision. A business analyst carries out the said analysis as he/she always keep track of the changing market conditions and are equipped to carry out a thorough analysis of the potential risks and benefits of entering a particular market. They will also present the analysis to the parties involved and advise them on the best way forward for the company. The stakeholders take a decision based on the analysis submitted by the business analyst. This is because the analyst’s report is based purely on facts and reliable data sources.
A formal certification in business analysis could help your get better job opportunities and give your career a boost. This is mainly due to the fact that a certification is a proof that you have the necessary skills to handle the various aspects of the domain and since you have to pass an exam to gain the certification, it shows that you have the ability to apply those skills as well. Ensure that you prepare well for the examination either from online or offline sources. As mentioned above, the role of a business analyst in an organisation is pivotal and having proficient business analysis skills will be an added asset to your skill set.