Automation Testing is a buzz word in the Software Industry. The trend is to automate every repetitive and similar kind of work. Time has gone when testing software used to take a lot of time and resources. As Agile methodologies globally opted for Software development, Automation testing plays a vital role to deliver products within time without compromising quality.
To perform automation testing, we have so many Automation tools available in the market. Automation tools help you to do most of the automation testing effectively and efficiently. In this blog post, we will see the topmost 5 Automation testing tools used in the software industry. They are:
- Silk Test
- QTP (UFT)
Let’s see each of them in detail:
Selenium is a set of tools to automate web applications across different browsers and platforms. Selenium WebDriver is a mostly used tool currently. Selenium WebDriver can be used with multiple language bindings to create robust, browser-based regression automation suites and tests. It can not be used for Desktop based applications.
- It is a free set of tools to automate web browser or web-based applications.
- It consists of Selenium IDE, Selenium RC, Selenium WebDriver and Selenium GRID
- Selenium IDE provides Record and Play GUI tests only for Web-based applications on Chrome and Firefox browsers only.
- WebDriver based tool called Appium can be used for mobile applications.
- Supports cross-browser testing.
- Supports major operating systems:- Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Supports IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Headless browsers
- Selenium IDE provides Record and Play GUI tests only for Web-based application on Chrome and Firefox browsers only
- Easy integration with various reporting tools
- Support integration with CICD
Ranorex is a set of paid and free tools to build sophisticated tests for desktop, web, and mobile applications. They provide three tools:-
- It is an IDE based set of tools that provides codeless automation.
- It provides End-to-end testing of desktop, web and mobile applications in a single license.
- We can automate tests on a Windows desktop, and then execute them locally or remotely, on real iOS or Android mobile devices or simulators/emulators.
- It supports the parallel running of tests.
- It has built-in Selenium WebDriver.
- Supports Cross-browser testing
- A lightweight IDE optimized for building UI web tests with Selenium or Protractor
- It generates native Selenium and Protractor code in Java and Typescript respectively.
- Follows Page Object Model design pattern.
- Supports Cross-browser testing on platforms like Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android mobile devices.
- Built-in reporting.
- Easy integration with JIRA and TestRail
- Supports a headless browser. We can distribute tests on Selenium grid and cloud-based providers like Saucelabs.
- Easy setup of tests framework.
- Downloads browser drivers automatically.
- It is a free Chrome browser extension to generate Selenium CSS selectors as well as XPath selectors
- It generates smart selector by ignoring dynamically generated IDs.
- Auto-detects the selector type, highlights it, and then displays the number of matching DOM elements.
Silk Test is an automation paid tool provided by Micro Focus for web, mobile, rich-client, and Enterprise applications. We can run existing selenium scripts faster using Silk Test. It can be easily integrated with CICD for continuous testing.
- Suitable for web, mobile, rich-client, and Enterprise applications.
- Supports both Web and mobile browsers
- Supports Running and adding new tests to existing Selenium scripts
- The built-in Synchronization mechanism helps you to remove unnecessary wait statements.
- Supports regression, cross-platform, and localization testing of all mobile application types such as mobile web, native and hybrid applications.
- It has embedded back end service virtualization to simulate service behavior in order to save time and effort.
- Supports running tests as performance tests and for synthetic monitoring purposes as well.
- Easy to integrate with CICD and Docker
- Customized graphical report
It is a paid automation testing tool to create automated functional tests for desktop, web, and mobile applications. This tool is developed by SmartBear software. It uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) which makes it a robust tool.
- It can be used to create automated functional tests for desktop, web, and mobile applications.
- It is a Windows-based tool. TestComplete is essentially Windows-based application and thus cannot run on Linux/Unix systems.
- It also has native support for Behavioral Driven Development (BDD).
- This tool is said to be very easy to use with Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Its object recognition combines property-based and AI-powered visual recognition to find dynamic UI elements quickly, easily, and accurately.
- It makes fast and easy to create, maintain, and execute functional tests which will increase test coverage and ensure you ship high-quality, battle-tested software.
- It has an unmatched hybrid object recognition engine with artificial intelligence.
- It is a paid tool by SmartBear. You can bundle options or customize your order. You can see pricing here.
- With TestComplete, you can get real-time information on the progress and status of your desktop, mobile, or web functional GUI tests from a single interface.
- The tool enables you to share images, videos, or detailed logs that you captured during test execution, or even export your logs in multiple formats such as JUnit, HTML or MHT, to easily share details with other team members.
UFT is formerly known as QTP. UFT is a paid desktop-based automation tool for web, desktop, mobile, API, hybrid, RPA, and enterprise apps provided by Micro Focus. It is a very old and powerful automation tool. It can be used to automate all three layers of an application. With very less knowledge of programming, you can use this tool easily.
- It is a paid desktop-based Intelligent test automation tool for web, mobile, API, hybrid, RPA, and enterprise apps provided by Micro Focus.
- UFT provides functional, regression and API test automation for software applications and environments for enterprise quality assurance. We can test all three layers of an application interface, the service layer and the database layer from a single console of UFT as it provides a graphical user interface.
- We can automation actions performed by an end-user on a web-based or desktop application using UFT. We can simulate user’s actions like clicking on GUI elements of applications, entering keyboard inputs and much more. In fact, UFT can do it much faster than human if scripted efficiently.
- It supports the VBS (Visual Basic Script) programming language.
- It supports Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE, and Edge web browsers.
- A major disadvantage of UFT is that it supports only Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- It supports nearly every major software application and environment, including SAP, Oracle, Salesforce, mainframes, embedded frameworks, headless browsers, and much more.
- We can deploy UFT on provisioned Citrix, AWS, and Azure virtual environments, or run web and mobile tests from Docker containers.
- You required less knowledge of programming as it offers keyword-driven testing that simplifies test creation and maintenance. Capture flows directly from the application screens and leverage UFT’s robust record/replay capturing technology.
- It comes with a built-in Object Repository and Provides built-in support for Data-driven Testing by Data tables.
Comparison of the above tools
|Suitable For||Web, mobile (Appium) applications||Desktop, web and mobile applications||Desktop, web and mobile applications||Desktop, web and mobile applications||Web and mobile applications|
|Supported OS||Windows, Linux, Mac||Windows||Windows||Windows||Windows|
|Features||Need to integrate other tools for better utilization||All required tools are inbuilt||All required tools are inbuilt||All required tools are inbuilt||All required tools are inbuilt|
Selecting a Tool
There are many tools available in the market who does a similar kind of things. So it becomes very difficult to select an appropriate tool for your project requirement. You need to select tool based on the below criteria:-
- Budget of project
- ROI from Automation
- Scope and roadmap of the project
- Resources available
- Level of maintenance and programming skills
If you do not want any paid tool, then Selenium is the best tool for you. If you want to go for a paid tool, all four tools are good. You can select based on your budget and criteria given above.
Selenium and UFT tools are better to learn from career aspects. Selenium is an open-source tool that makes it famous to use for automation across different organisations. Selenium is a widely used automation tool as of now. Since UFT is an old and powerful automation tool, and many organisations have their automation suite in UFT.