SDLC is an acronym for the process Software Development Life Cycle. It is a set of procedures with the assistance of which software systems, as well as information systems, are designed and developed. In this context, it is interesting to note that SDLCs comprises various processes to complete the necessary steps related to software and information systems.
Waterfall methodology is one of the most renowned traditional methods for designing the software and information systems. Herbert D. Benington proposed the Waterfall method in the year 1956. He used it on the programming methods for the digital computers. This Waterfall method since then has formed the base for countless projects in a large number of industries. One of the major competitions faced by the SDLC method is the Agile Method.
Particular problems associated with the Waterfall method of SDLC
It is interesting to note that the Waterfall method goes through various steps of analysis, conception, initiation, testing, construction, and maintenance and product execution. The major drawback of the Waterfall method lies in the fact that the technical team cannot move to the next phase until the previous period is complete.
However, there is one positive thing about this method, and it lies in the fact that if bugs are encountered at the early stages, it can save a lot of money and time. However, these types of corrections involve intensive amounts of certification. Moreover, each of these phases also needs an extensive amount of time so that there is no mistake in the final product. All of these aspects make the Waterfall technology a traditional one with a lot of glitches.
Benefits of Agile project management in SDLC
The method of Agile Project Management is also known as an incremental approach to the notion of software development. In this context, it is important to note that in Agile Project Management, small amounts of products are released for the users to assess. By going through the reviews in a proper manner, the required alterations can be made to the design.
In Agile Project Management, a plethora of developers work on their task in a simultaneous way. After the work gets over, they opt for compiling in the end. In this manner, they usually save more time.
Moreover, the primary use of Agile project management in SDLC is to deliver working software rather than documentation. Furthermore, it is also one of those processes which make sure that it works on the cycle.
It gives rise to the discovery of new things during the completion of each cycle. As communication in place of documentation is being used, it is relatively more straightforward to execute projects by using the Agile Framework. It is also vital to note that the methods related to Agile are best for non-sequential projects. However, the application of Agile Framework is highly dependent on the suitability of the project.
In this context, you may also take a look at the security development life cycle approach to Agile development.
The Scope of Life Cycles in Agile Framework
The range of life cycles of Agile in the SDLC framework may vary. It is so because the development of the solution in the flexible frame is a bit complicated. If the technical team adopts a developmental process, it does not fully address the complete cycle of an operation. Hence, it is recommended to go beyond the construction lifecycle.
On the other hand, with the Agile Framework, one can fine-tune the IT processes. Organizations usually have a lot of ideas in the stage of planning and production which they can execute with Agile Framework in SDLC.
The importance of pre-project planning in the concept phase
The concept phase is also known as the iteration-1 phase. It is also known as the pre-project aspects of portfolio management in SDLC. Here is the list of points that one can take into consideration in this phase.
- The proper way to define business opportunity: It is the aspect in which the technical team has to take into account the bigger business picture. Moreover, they have to focus on the concerns of a market. This step usually comprises of exploring the ways to improve the functionality of the presence of the organization. Not all projects are worth the efforts, so it is advisable to recognize the stakeholders and their motives.
- Assessing the probability: The chance of reaping the desired results and its calculation is always essential. Hence, the technical team has to carry out an analysis of the feasibility. There exist four issues when the professional team explores the possibility, and they are functional feasibility, economic feasibility, political feasibility, and operational feasibility.
- Recognizing the appropriate strategy for the project: It is recommended to narrow down the list of policies to reap rich dividends. There may be a lot of policies available to you, and hence it is best recommended that you select the one which you find appropriate.
Upgrade your career prospects in project management with our PRINCE2 Foundation online training courses. Enroll today and discover the benefits of our expert-led program, designed to help take your career to the next level in no time!
The cycles related to the construction phase
During the construction phase, the technical team usually delivers high quality working software which generally meets the altering requirements of the Stakeholders. They typically achieve this by:
- Implementing the process of functionality in the order that is being completed on a priority basis.
- Making sure that there is quality in the software systems developed by them. It is a widely accepted fact that advanced practitioners of Agile are firm believers in following strict guidelines.
- Frequently providing working solutions for regular assessment.
- Running a lot of tests throughout the process of construction. Make sure that there is confirmatory testing with the help of which iterations can be made victorious.
- Working in partnership with various stakeholders and other developers. By tightening the feedback cycle and improving communication, the inputs from the stakeholders can be easily incorporated into the phase of construction.
The distinctive characteristics of the Agile Framework lie down in its speedy nature of accomplishing tasks. The primary advantages of the Agile framework in SDLC are being achieved by working in close cooperation with the stakeholders at each of the steps.