Strategies are made to fulfill business goals or objectives. These can be seen as larger visions as they require deep thinking towards the target. In digital marketing, often business owners are found saying- “Our strategy is to use a social network.” Pragmatically, a social network is not a ‘strategy’ but a ‘method’ which is used as a day-to-day action and cannot be tied to a specific goal.
Consider one example- if you have a restaurant and you want to boost its reservations by 75% during holidays and weekends, then a worthwhile strategy will be to engage more customers through the online reservations from your website. A perfect method will be to use Yelp and Google+ pages to increase reviews and drive traffic towards booking your restaurant website.
While planning for digital marketing, make sure that the strategies are always tied to the goals. The idea behind the strategy is to go ahead from largely scaled plans to smaller ones. There are varieties of strategies available in digital marketing. As a digital marketer, you should be aware of differences among various strategies, which will help you to get more visitors reaching your website, stimulating the traffic towards the website. I have tried to outline some important techniques, as follows.
- Search Engine Strategies:
This is the most important and less expensive strategy, to rank high on the main search engines for your preferred keywords, in natural searches. Search engine posts the robot “spiders” to record the content of your web page. The context behind this is not to trick the search engines, but to leave them with plenty of clues over the web page content. This is called as Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
SEO includes different approaches like-
- Writing a keyword-rich page title.
- Write a Description META Tag. Description should be about content of the web page using main keywords and phrases. It should be between <Head></Head> tag.
- Include your keywords in the headers (H1, H2, H3).
- Position your keywords in the first paragraph of your body text.
- Include descriptive keywords in the ALT Attribute (for alternate text for an image) of Image Tags.
- Use keywords in hyperlinks.
- Develop webpages focused on each of your target keywords.
- Promote your video, images, and audio content.
- Promote your local business on the internet.
- Linking Strategies:
Linking externally i.e. providing your site’s link on other sites, drives additional traffic. Google and other major search engines consider link popularity (of your website) as an important sign of relevance. More links visited will help you rank higher in the search engines. For identifying quantity and quality of incoming links, Google uses a measure called PageRank. Links from trusted, high visited sites will help your site rank higher than links from the low trafficked sites.
Linking strategies includes-
- Submitting your site to key directories, as a link from a directory will help you get more traffic and ranking as well.
- Submitting your site to trade organization sites and to specialized directories, which are mainly focussing on particular industries like education, finance, etc.
- Writing articles for others to use in Websites and Newsletters.
- Social Media:
Our next strategy for promoting websites includes social media, in which people are interacting with each other and responding to posted blogs and commenting on it. It includes 4 types:
- Social networking sites
- Social bookmarking sites
Social media can help ranking your site by sending direct traffic, producing more links to your site and generating awareness. You can apply the following strategies for social media:
- Become a part of a social media community.
- Promote your site on online forums and discussion lists.
- Asking visitors to bookmark your site by providing various options.
- Traditional Strategies:
A mixed media approach to marketing can be very effective if ‘old media’ strategies are not working. The mixed media strategies can include-
- Ensuring that all your business cards, stationery items and brochures contain your company’s URL, the only domain name that is recommended.
- Promoting the use of traditional media, by including URL in any display or making classified ads and spreading it in trade journals, newspapers, yellow papers, etc. From this, you can capture readers’ attention towards the ads and refer them to your company’s URL.
- Email Strategies:
Email is an important path to get more people visiting your website. Just make sure not to send spam mails (unsolicited emails without permissions) as many countries have anti-spam laws.
- Installing a ‘Signature’ in your email program, which should be at the end of the message, limited to 6-8 lines, including Company name, address, phone number, URL, email id and one line on uniqueness about your company.
- You can publish an e-mail newsletter for your website’s promotion. If you want to get more subscribers to your email newsletter, you have to include subscription form on every page of your website and promote sign-ups also.
- Try to send exciting offers to your website visitors and to the customers who have given you an authorisation to contact them. You can include them in regular emailing if you have a regular newsletter.
- Paid Advertising Strategies:
The above discussed approaches require time and energy and if you want to grow your business more rapidly, you can pay to increase traffic to your website. Paid advertising can be done in 3 ways-
- Traditional CPM (Cost per thousand views)
- Pay per click (PPC)
- Pay per action (PPA) /Cost per action (CPA)
You can do advertisements in the company’s email newsletter and can purchase PPC ads with Google AdWords, Yahoo, etc. This idea is vitally important as most internet businesses explore using Google AdWords to direct traffic to their websites.
These are the effective ways for your website’s promotion. Though you need to spend more time in understanding and adapting these strategies, it will be beneficial for your company. With these strategies, you can jump-start your business in the market.