The failing economy has jeopardized the jobs of many and among the most severely hit have been white collar workers. These workers were indispensable to an organization up until a few years ago. But the presence of a cheaper workforce from outsourcing has resulted in loss of jobs for white collar workers. The only way to retain jobs is to skill up and provide employers with the knowledge, skill and abilities that are of need in the market right now. The IT industry has a dearth of talent and these organizations are in need of employees who have the skill set and the mentality to match the corporate culture and realize the organizational vision.
So what new skills can a white collar worker acquire to fit into the IT industry? A training framework that would aptly fit white collar workers is the Project Management Professional Certification. A white collar worker by definition is someone who performs professional, managerial or administrative work. A project manager’s role maps closely to this role and hence it is in fact an extension of a white collar job such as corporate or managerial posts.
For any professional to climb the corporate ladder, they must not just show competence in industry skills but also reflect a leadership and motivational trait. The PMP equips one with analysis, management and team skills—skills that are in much demand across sectors. With the PMP certification, a white collar worker will be able to:
- Show results: Your project management skills will help get things done. You will learn the art of planning, organizing, and controlling resources and this in turn will help you achieve targets and meet organizational objectives. You will shine among your peers and get the attention of your management.
- Show efficiency: Project Management is all about being efficient and the PMP is a reflection of your efficiency and commitment. By understanding the project management best practices outlined in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge — Fifth Edition(PMBOK®Guide), you will not only become efficient in executing your projects but in all walks of life.
- Improve communication skills: Communication is key to successful project management. In fact a lack of clear communication channels between stakeholders, the team and the project manager has been cited as among the most frequent reasons for project failure. PMP will teach you how to effectively communicate the roles and responsibilities to your team members and open dialogues with stakeholders. As a PM you have to act as a bridge between the customers and the team, conveying requirements to and fro with clarity and the PMP helps you do this.
- Stick to schedules: Any dedicated professional worth his or her salt will know the importance of sticking to a commitment. PMP teaches you how to accomplish tasks within deadlines, budgets and allocated resources. You will acquire skills to complete tasks and deliver the quality that you have ensured customers. This is the benchmark of a successful PM that will also help you gain the trust of your peers and customers.
- Show adaptability: Projects are getting increasingly complex and so are customer requirements. With so much volatility associated with projects it is not uncommon for requirements to change at the last minute. PMP teaches you how to handle change management and deal with them effectively. You will learn to become adaptable and prepared for changes.
- Motivate and inspire: The PMP is a powerful leadership tool. Not only does it teach you to stick to your goal and achieve it but also instils in you a passion to succeed. And people are motivated by those who show excellence and commitment towards their responsibilities. Your team members will look up to you for inspiration and you will guide them towards their goal, towards success.
At a time when the industry is seeking highly specialized skills, the PMP is a certification that can provide a white collar worker the necessary ammo to succeed at the corporate workplace. Project managers are plenty but being PMP certified makes you special… part of the elite.