Project Management Professional or PMP is a certificate awarded to project management professionals by PMI – Project Management Institute. PMP provides and demonstrates the actual experience, education, skill, and competency required to lead and handle the projects. Project Management Professionals or PMP are the imperatives in all organizations. The demand for PMP is increasing with respect to skills and requirements in industries across the globe. As per a survey, there will be an enormous number of opportunities for Project Management Certifications in the coming years. Gain further knowledge of PMP through PMP Certification training.
What is Project Management Professionals (PMP) Exam?
The PMP exam is a comprehensive test to become certified by the Project Management Institute (PMI) as a project manager. It is the best way to make sure one will meet industry-wide standards when they start a project management career.
Getting a PMP certification aids candidates in bagging a coveted job title. According to the Project Management Institute, the median earnings of PMP holders are 25% higher than those of non-certified PMP holders.
How to Plan and Utilize 4 hours of PMP Exams
You should thoughtfully plan for the 4 hours of the PMP Exam Preparation; if you are a new test taker, you must be saying, man is this a joke, there are 4 hours, and I have to complete 200 questions, very simple!!
We are sorry; it is not as simple as you may think.
There are no scheduled breaks on the exam, which means if you spend time in the toilet or taking tea or any drinks or if you are a smoker and smoke a couple of cigarettes in one hour during the exam, the clock will not stop ticking for you, and there are high chances that you may get short of time during the exam.
So is it not wise to plan the exam in advance and fully utilize the 4 hours of the PMP exam? Get to know more importance of the project charter.
1. Distribute the questions in hours and minutes.
We know the PMP exam has 200 questions and 4 hours. So how to plan:
A: In hours:
1 hour = 50 questions
4 hours = 200 questions.
B: In Minutes:
1 hour= 60 minutes.
4 hours= 4*60= 240 minutes.
This means for every question; you have one point for some seconds.
If you give one minute to one question
1 min= 1 question.
you still will have 40 minutes left.
This is important to know about your psyche if you are the type of person that can concentrate throughout the 4 hours of the exam and is normally distracted or lose concentration while taking breaks. Then do not take a break. But if you are opposite to the above, do take regular breaks, but again the breaks should be the plan breaks keeping in viewpoint 1.
Suggestions to Get Started with PMP Exam Preparation
Before knowing more about PMP exam strategies and concerns, here are a few suggestions that can help you out:
PMP is one of the most in-demand certification courses, hence, it is common to witness high competition here. Below are a few tips and strategies which you can have a look at:
Before beginning your study, have a good survey on the materials that you are going to cover. Having familiarity with topics will help you have a better understanding of the books and topics.
Have your own set of motivations. Before starting with any of the topics, have a quick look of the topics you will be covering, and the time you will require for revising the topic, highlighting the topics which you might need a second time reading.
3. Stay away from distractions
There will always be a distraction when proceeding with good things. Try to avoid or stop usage of things which can disturb you during study time.
How to Prepare for PMP Exam in 2023?
A roadmap is highly recommended before proceeding for any exams, as it gives a way to reach the goal. Check out the PMP preparation process which project management professionals commonly take to tackle the exam.
1. Ideate the Finish Line
Have a clear understanding of why earning PMP certification is important to you, and make a note and review it to stay diligent throughout the exam preparation process.
- Plan to study regularly in the weeks or months ahead of the final big exam day.
- Create a study schedule that integrates work and other obligations.
- Share your goal with people who are in a similar process, so they can help you stay on track.
- Seek support from your management level, check if your organization can support you to study during working hours.
2. Tour the Terrain
Learn more about the examination question pattern:
- PMP certification exam will be a combination of multiple-choice, multiple-response, and limited fill in the blank's patterns.
- Go through the list of KnowledgeHut best Project Management courses.
3. Create a Course of Action and Collect Information
It is a basic requirement for PMP beginners to collect all the necessary information and research to find the most useful exam preparation resources:
4. Hit the Books and Attend Training
A good and reliable book will give you clarity regarding any PMP topic. Find the most published and sold books with respect to the exam preparations. Also, one cannot sit for PMP examination unless they complete their traditional education in project management.
5. Be a part of the PMP Club
Project professionals are eager to provide advice and encouragement:
6. Preparing for PMP Exam
- One should have a good understanding, and knowledge of the PMP reference book.
- Upon completion of the reference book, it is good practice to take up the mock tests available online or offline. It lets you understand the gap between your knowledge and preparation level.
- If you are not yet ready to take up the mock test, revise the concepts and make sure there is no topics left.
Top Tips and Strategies for PMP Exam Preparation
Now, getting through a leading certification course for project managers across industries and organizations requires great preparation to ace the exam.
The path of preparing for PMP certification can be exhausting, as it requires consistency in preparation for months or years, before one can take the actual exam. Below are a few tips that can help you know how to prepare for the PMP exam:
1. Leverage PMP Study Material of PMBOK Guide
One who is preparing for the PMP exam must have a basic idea of PMP practices and topics, which includes majorly, the guide called, Project Management Body of Knowledge or PMBOK. It contains all the required guidelines, details, and tips regarding the exam. It also includes the below points:
- Examination requirements
- PMP exam Certification pattern
- Topics included in the exam
- Types of questions
Therefore, referring to the latest PMBOK Guide will definitely help one around. PMP exam is based on ECO (Exam Content Outline) so the preparation plan should be based on PMBOK guide, because it occupies the centerpiece for the exam.
2. Focus On Comprehension and Not on Memorization
The main thought process of the PMP certification exam is to evaluate your knowledge of project management principles and theories of applying it to real-world cases. But the exam aspirants try to memorize the contents rather than understanding them.
The maximum time spent during exam preparation must go toward understanding the theory. Ultimately, this will help you apply those concepts to real-life scenarios.
3. Leverage Free Exam-Preparation Resources
When aspirants visit the PMI website, one has to check all the links or documentation on the website, so they can learn about the free available resources on the website. It includes the below-mentioned list:
- PMP Handbook
- PMP certification exam content outline
- PMP sample questions
4. Take Part in Online Communities
It is advised to all the upcoming PMP exam aspirants to join a PMP discussion group or study forum (such as PMI’s Certification Central) as part of their exam preparation plan:
- Here one can post queries and concerns
- Find out more about new exam resources
- Online communities help to strengthen your understanding of the concepts while resolving queries of other participants
- Connect and network with both the candidates as well as certified professionals
5. PMP Prep Courses Online
Online discussion classrooms and forums groups act as a backbone for supplementing PMP certification exam preparation:
- Enrolling in and taking a well-structured PMP certification preparation training will enable you to receive the guidance of experienced and knowledgeable instructors who have cleared the exam.
- You can discuss with the instructors to clear your queries and benefit from their attempted and tested preparation strategy and experience. In short, it will significantly boost your percentage.
6. Add Online PMP Exam Simulators to Your PMP Preparation Strategy
Taking mock exams is one of the most suggested parts of preparing for any exam and it is the most crucial way to clear PMP Certification. It contains around 200 multiple-choice questions, including formula-based questions, inference-based questions, complex situational questions, and knowledge-based questions. Therefore, using PMP simulators will enable you to evaluate your preparation level while also increasing your confidence.
7. Propose your own PMP Study Plan
Based on your familiarity of the concepts and level of understanding on the topics, you can make a custom PMP exam study plan for daily and weekly learning for milestones:
- It includes your familiarity level with the exam topics of PMP on how to study for PMP certification and how to clear PMP exam.
- What amount of time are you willing to devote on a daily basis to studying for the upcoming exam?
- When do you plan, and ready to take the examination?
- To choose which training technique is better for you: self-study or instructor-led?
How to Apply for PMP Exam?
Before you can take the PMP certification exam, you have to complete an application so that the Project Management Institute – PMI can validate your years of experience and educational qualifications as a project manager.
Here is a quick overview of the steps to apply for the PMP exam:
- Create a PMI.org account.
- To complete and submit the online application.
- Wait for confirmation of completeness from the org.
- Complete audit materials if you are to be audited
- Pay the credential fee.
- Schedule (and pass) the exam
PMP Certification Requirements
- A four-year degree
- 36 months leading project
- 35 hours of project management education or training
- A high school diploma or an associate’s degree (or global equivalent)
- 60 months leading projects
- 35 hours of project management education or training.
Discover your true potential with our certified PRINCE2 Foundation training and become a project management expert. Join us today!
Time Required for PMP Exam Preparation
The time to prepare for the exam varies on the knowledge level, work experience and academic background you have. To make it simple we can divide candidates into 2 main categories based on their academics:
- Candidates with Project Management background. Example- MBA in project management or Postgraduate in Project management or Construction management or of its similar types.
- Second category would be candidates with Project Management work experience.
As said, practice makes a man perfect, it is suggested you spend a minimum of three to four hours a day studying for a minimum of four months of duration. It is also suggested to be consistent in your daily exam practice and not lose focus.
Once the exam date is set, plan to go through the PMBOK book twice. The exam pattern consists of multiple-choice questions, drag-and-drop, fill in the blank formats. The topics are distributed into three main domains- Process, People and Business Environment. The questions are categorized as:
- Situational or Scenario-based PMP Exam Questions
- Knowledge-Based PMP Exam Questions
- Interpretational PMP Exam Questions
- Technique-Based PMP Exam Questions
- Formula-Based PMP Exam Questions
Take a mock test and try practicing using the PMP exam Simulator. So that you will get an idea if you are able to cover 180 questions within 4 long hours or not. You can validate your answers and make a note of the wrong answers so you can get back to those concepts for revision. It is suggested to take a minimum of a 4-hour mock test one week before the exam. If you achieve up to 70% in the mock test then you are ready for the exam. Remember that the PMP exam tests your experience and knowledge in all areas.
Top Cities where Knowledgehut Conduct PMP Certification Training Course Online
What Type of Questions Can be Expected in PMP Exam?
One has to attempt around 200 questions in the PMP exam. These questions will check your understanding of the concepts of project management and one's ability to resolve any scenario-based questions. Below are some of the highlighted topics, which will help you know questions to be expected in the exams:
1. Situation-based Questions
About 60% of the question patterns are scenario-based questions. The options given in the answer may seem ambiguous and you may feel more than one might be the correct answer.
2. Strategy-based Questions
There will be questions, including formula and strategy questions. This includes the topics of cost, time, and areas mostly. Make sure you have a list of formulae written and practiced while preparing for the exam and you remember them.
3. Knowledge-based Questions
All the questions in this section are taken directly from the book PMBOK Guide.
4. Remaining Other Questions
- In a few cases, people often complain about the length of the questions that come in the PMP exam.
- You would do better by focusing on the core of a question and not losing yourself to the detail surrounding the question.
Also be wary of jumping to answers that seem right at first glance. Maybe there is a “not” hiding somewhere in the middle of the question that needs to be paid attention too.
PMP candidates are highly advised to invest in PMP exam preparation. The majority of successful PMP candidates study for the exam for an average of 35 hours or more. This is because PMI - Project Management Institute's PMP exam is the world's leading project management certification and candidates will go to any preparation level to get through this exam.
PMI consists of 180 to 200 multiple-choice questions that demonstrate your leadership skills and experience in project management. Preparing for the exam is the key to ensuring that you qualify and pass it. Enrolling yourself in KnowledgeHut’s PMP Certification training is one of the best ways to prepare for your certification exam.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is PMP tough to crack?
The short answer can be, is it is hard enough to require serious preparation that could take a few months. Therefore, if you are well prepared and you have practiced in taking mock exams, then the PMP exam will not be hard for anyone.
2. How long is PMP valid?
The PMP certification is valid for three years that can be renewed or maintained by earning 60 professional development units, which is defined on hours spent on accepted professional development activities.
3. What is the PMP pass rate?
Every year, over 60,000 people enroll in Project Management Professional certification programs to expand their project management skills and knowledge. Out of this, the PMP exam pass rate is less than 70%.