The project management institute (PMI), USA, offers the PMP certification course, one of the challenging and in-demand projects management credentials. The PMP audit process is a selection procedure that ensures that talented students pass the process and earn the certification.
Every individual in the project management profession aspires to achieve the PMP certification. KnowledgeHut offers the best PMP course, designed with the latest practices to help you crack the exam on your first attempt.
What are the PMP Audit and Its Purpose?
Candidates who apply for PMI certifications, not all of them, are subject to the audit process. This process is necessary to uphold the high quality of the certification process. Employers trust the certifications, which is why they must stand up to the reputation.
Why Does PMP Conduct an Application Audit?
The key benefit of the PMP audit process is carefully reviewing the eligibility of randomly selected candidates. There are certain prerequisites set for the PMP certifications. The PMP audit process is conducted to ensure that those prerequisites are met. It enhances the credibility of the certification holders by determining that only the right candidates are appearing for the exams.
PMP Application and Audit Selection Process: Step-by-step
Working towards the PMP audit process could be a little overwhelming. To help you out, here we have mentioned Step-by-step to register for the PMP exam.
Check Your Eligibility
To apply for the PMP exam, you need to meet certain requirements in the criteria of education qualification, Project management experience, and formal management training. It includes,
- High School Diploma with 7500 hours of experience in project management or
- 4-year degree with 4500 hours of project management experience
- 35 hours of formal Project management training
1. Register for PMI
Once you are sure that you are qualified to apply for the PMP audit process, it's time to register for the PMI membership at www.pmp.org. The membership can offer countless advantages, from getting PMBOK's latest edition to a discount on examination fees.
2. Fill out the Application Form
The application form for the PMP exam has three sections:
- Section 1 - general information.
- Section 2 - project management experience
- Section 3 - details of 35 hours of project management training.
While filling out the application form details, provide the actual and accurate information as you cannot modify the given information once submitted. This will help you to avoid any hassles in the PMP audit process.
Steps In the PMP Audit Process
- If the audit team selects your application, you will receive a selection email.
- The email will have the necessary details and guidelines.
- During the PMP audit process, you have to submit the essential documents within 90 days.
- The PMI audit materials have to be enveloped and sent to the address (PMI, Attn: Certification Audit, 14, Campus Blvd, Newtown Square, PA 197033299, USA).
Schedule Your PMP Exam
The PMP audit team will verify your application which will take 5 to 10 days. After you have received your approval confirmation, you should make the payment and schedule your exam appointment immediately with the given eligibility number. Remember, the eligibility for your PMP certification will begin from day one once your audit is approved. Also, you will have only three attempts to clear the exam.
PMP Exam Payment
You have the option of paying the exam fee through crest cards. In case you have taken the annual membership, which costs Rs.9,963 for membership and Rs.772 as a joining fee.
The non-member fee for the application process is Rs.42,863. The fee gets reduced to Rs.23,459 for those who are a member.
PMP Audit Process
If your application gets selected for the audit process, you will receive a mail which mentions the instructions for the audit. Here are the steps you must follow to comply with the smooth audit process.
- Download the audit package from the online certification system of PMI.
- Print the PMI audit forms that were received in the audit package.
- Send the necessary documents in one envelope through regular postal mail or courier services at the mentioned address.
Documents for the Audit process
During the audit process, you will be required to submit some of the essential PMP audit materials:
- Copies of degree and diploma
- Signature from the manager/supervisor
- Copies of certificates, including the letter of training from training institutes for each course recorded in the application. These hours should meet the contact hours of project management education specified.
Prerequisites for PMP Certification
There are three requirements for PMP certifications.
- 35 contact hours project management education
- Project experience requirement (at least three years)
- A secondary or higher-level background
Here are the three alternatives that can satisfy the criteria to appear for the PMP exam.
High School Diploma, Associate's Degree /Global Equivalent
- Minimum of 60 months of unique, not overlapping, professional project management experience
- 35 contact hours of formal project management education
Bachelor's Degree (Four-year Degree) /Global Equivalent
*Bachelor's Degree /Postgraduate Degree from a GAC accredited program (Bachelor's Degree or Master's or Global Equivalent)
- At Least 24 months of professional experience in non-overlapping projects.
- Project management education with a minimum period of 35 hours.
How Much Time Do I Get to Submit the Requested Documents for the PMP Audit?
PMI provides you with a total of 90 days to submit the above-required documents. After passing the review process, you will be notified with the confirmation message with the eligibility number.
Top Cities where Knowledgehut Conduct PMP Certification Training Course Online
Unleash your potential with agile management courses. Become certified and soar to new career heights with agile certification for beginners!
How Much Duration Does It Take to Complete the PMP Audit?
The time to complete the PMP audit process depends upon the frequency with which the applicant reverts to the mail with the required documents. Once PMI receives the documents, they take five business days to complete the audit process. Once you clear the audit process, the PMI shall give you the schedule for the exam.
Tips To Reduce the Time Period of the Audit Process
The PMP audit process holds high standards in working and educational requirements from applicants. Hence, before filling in your application form, you need to understand some factors that will accelerate the process.
1. Add Every Project in Your Professional Life.
Whether you have worked on large or small projects, make sure to fill even a minimum amount of experience hours to save the efforts in verifying your working experience.
2. Include Truthful Information in Your Details
Collecting false information will suspend you from applying for the PMP exam forever. Remember to take time to document your experience and time for each project management process accurately by asking for consent from the supervisors.
3. Respond to Audit Request Regarding Incomplete Documentation
In some cases, if you cannot submit all the necessary PMP audit materials, you can still notify the PMP with appropriate reasons. You won't get any penalty in the case and will be allowed to proceed with the application. This will save your effort and time in completing the audit efficiently.
Tips To Pass the Audit Process
Every PMP aspirant has chances to get selected in the PMP certification audit process. Here are some effective tips to follow that will smoothen your chance.
1. Read PMBOK, The Guide for The Application Form.
PMBOK talks about filling the experience description that should be according to the project management framework. Every applicant is required to have at least some experience in the project management process.
2. One Project Where You Were the Project Manager
PMP Credential holds high value for Project Managers, as they are responsible for directing and leading the whole project. Therefore, during the audit process, make sure to highlight a project, where you have served as the project manager.
3. Select Projects You Are Confident With
Select only those projects with which you are confident of passing. Try including just enough hours for the projects, after verifying with the supervisor.
4. Project Description
When you mention the project descriptions, one important aspect is mentioning key deliverables or output and your role in the project. This will give PMI a clear explanation and understanding of the scope of your projects and your involvement in the same.
Despite the other factors that decide one's PMP audit percentage, following certain good practices before submitting your application will ensure a smooth PMP exam audit and enhance your selection chances. The PMP certification can potentially grow your career as a project management professional. If you are preparing to start the course, knowledgeHut's best PMP course will help you excel in your skills in PMP exam certification.
Check out the blog post on a step-by-step guide to get PMP.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What percentage of PMP applications are audited?
As per the guidelines of the PMI application audit process, all the applications are subjected to the audit. However, only a certain number of candidates are selected for the exam.
Q2. What happens during a PMP audit?
By agreeing to attend the PMP exam audit, you must also comply with its terms. During the PMP audit process, supervisors will verify the information provided by the applications to know whether they are eligible to apply for the exam.
Q3. Does everyone get audited for PMP?
In the PMP audit process, each application is eligible to be audited, but only a specific percentage of applicants are selected.
Q4. How long does it take to get PMP approval?
The PMI audit process will take at least five working days to approve your PMP application. They would perform a random audit with the given details and references. Once approved, you will be given a year to pay your fee and schedule the exam.
Q5. What happens if you fail the PMP audit?
Many reasons could make you fail in the PMP audit process.
- If your academic and educational background cannot be verified.
- If your application is non-compliance with the guidelines, you will receive a One-year suspension period to apply again for the process.
- If you have given any false information, then you will be permanently suspended to Apply for any PMI exams.
Q6. How can I avoid being audited by PMP?
No, there are no ways to avoid the PMP application audit process. You have to prepare for the best to face an audit and ensuring the success rate.