ITIL refers to a public framework which best describes the best practice in the effective management of IT service. It facilitates the practical framework for the authority of various procedures related to the IT processes. It is also associated with the continual measurement and improvement of the quality of IT service that is to be delivered. The IT service that has to be given is from the perspective of customers as well as the organization. Since its creation, ITIL has become the widely accepted approach to IT service supervision in the world. There are various benefits related to the implementation of ITIL practices. With the practical implementation of ITIL practices, there would be an increase in customer satisfaction related to the IT services.
The origin of ITIL
ITIL practices first came to light in the late 1980s by the Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency which is often abbreviated as CCTA and is located in Britain. The popularity of ITIL practices lies in the fact that these methods are not rigid. It provides a framework with the help of which organizations can adapt to their own needs.
It is important to note that ITIL breaks down the functions related to IT into full capacity and discrete components that usually spans across the entire length of the enterprise in terms of IT practice. Moreover, these services are designed in a block manner so that they can be utilized for the use of an external service provider. ITIL comprises of strategic, tactical and operational components. The vital elements comprise of long-term goals of a particular service and high-level activities are required to undertake them.
The tactical components comprise of individual processes that would monitor the assignments and activities required to execute the service. Furthermore, operational aspect includes of the specific implementation of the various procedures so that it can provide assistance to the stakeholders and the users. In this context, it is important to note that the completion of the operational assignments implies that the strategic objectives are achieved within the expected frames of time.
The various versions related to ITIL practices
The ITIL practices were first published from 1987 to 1996 on behalf of the CCTA organization. In this context, it is important to note that the second version of ITIL was released in the form of books from 2000 to 2004. Quite interestingly, the initial version of ITIL comprised of a collection of 31 books. This group has usually covered all notions of the IT provision.
The service strategy of ITIL
It is important to note that service strategies related to ITIL usually comprises of assessing the current market requirements and offerings. By carefully examining the offerings and plans, the organization can create a program so that the services can meet needs. In this context, it is vital to note that ITIL service strategy comprises of separate processes. They are in the form of financial management, strategy management for IT services, business relationship management, demand management and service portfolio management. Here is the detailed description of each of these processes.
- Financial Management: It is focused on the services and commercial spending. It comprises of the aspects of accounting, budgeting, and charging activities of the organization. This type of process is also focused on the costs so that it can provide the required amount of services while maximizing the value of the service.
- Relationship Management of the organization: It is that type of a relationship management that involves the creation and maintenance of relationships related to the clients. It is also associated with comprehending the needs of the customers as well as providing services as per the audited requirements.
- Demand Management:It identifies the demand of the customer as per the services provided. It is one of those processes which is associated the application of the customers. The availability and the types of services are all part of Demand Management.
- Strategy Management in case of IT services: It is one of those processes that are associated with assessing the IT services in the notion of the overall position of the market. It also comprises of the need to determine the current market trends so that the customer needs can be satiated in a proper manner. It also includes planning for the potential expansion of the market.
- Service management of portfolio:It is focused on the effective management of the offered IT services. The portfolio management would also ensure that the goods and services delivered are always associated with the goals of service strategy.
The service design of ITIL
The service design of ITIL is focused on the correct construction of service offerings to address needs of the customers as well as the business organization. Quite interestingly, the service design publication is made up of 8 separate processes. These processes comprise of management of capacity, service catalog management, management of the service level, availability management, and IT service continuity management, management of supplier, design coordination, and management related to information security.
The catalog management of the services comprises of the accessibility to service customers which is required to keep the services remain productive. On the other hand, capacity management makes sure that the systems are always functioning at the needed capacity. On the other hand, supplier management reviews the relationships of the suppliers which are also resplendent with third parties and their various terms of contracts and agreements.
It is important to note that security has emerged as a vital issue of the organizations who operate in the domain of IT field. However, the practices of ITIL set it apart from others. The security patches related to ITIL usually outlines a continuous improvement process to assess the risks associated to processing information. On the other hand, ITIL practices are best tuned with the technical support. Hence, it is quite evident that all the ITIL practices are in sync with the levels of customer satisfaction. In this manner, it continually strives hard to make the organization in an efficient way.