Professional Scrum Master (PSM) is training and certification workshop is managed by Scrum.Org. Scrum.Org is a scrum training and certification organization started by Ken Schwaber (Co-Creator of Scrum Framework) after moving away from Scrum Alliance in 2010.
Today, there are more than 80,000 Professional Scrum Master worldwide and more than 75 get added every day. PSM is recognized as most sought certification for Scrum Master and agile coach worldwide due to credible exam, best quality trainers and consistent course material. Many companies only consider PSM holders for Scrum Master role.
How to become Professional Scrum Master (PSM)?
There are 2 possible ways to achieve it. 1st – Write exam without training if you are already practicing Scrum. 2nd – Attend professional Scrum Master (PSM) training in your area before writing exam.
If you are planning to write exam yourself without training then follow below instructions to clear exam in 1st attempt.
- Buy exam from Scrum.org website after paying $150 – https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-certifications/professional-scrum-master-assessments
- Read Scrum Guide – http://www.scrumguides.org/
- Try Open assessment – https://www.scrum.org/open-assessments/scrum-open
- DON’T take training from non-PSTs (Professional Scrum Trainers) – Trainer may not be having understanding about Scrum and Test as per Scrum.org expectation.
- DON’T take test on any other website – Exam may not be up to date as per Scrum.Org syllabus.
- DON’T take online Scrum Training – It may not be aligned with Scrum.Org learning objective.
- Always attend licensed trainer’s workshop. PSTs are well groomed and given license to teach after going through rigorous process.
Advantages of attending Professional Scrum Master (PSM) training before writing exam.
- Exam fee is already covered in training fee so no need to pay exam fee separately
- Opportunity to learn from licensed Trainers
- 50% discount on second attempt (Applicable to India and Subcontinent)
- 40% discount on PSM –II (next level after PSM-I)
- Copy of course material maintained by Scrum.org