PRINCE2® Certification comprises of two certification levels—Foundation and Practitioner. You can become PRINCE2 Foundation certified by passing the Foundation exam. There are no prerequisites for attempting this exam.
The second qualification in the PRINCE2 suite is the Practitioner credential. Professionals attempting to gain the Practitioner credential must hold the PRINCE2 Foundation or an equivalent credential.
The certifying body for the PRINCE2 credential is Axelos, and PeopleCert conducts the PRINCE2 examinations on behalf of Axelos. Candidates can register to appear for the examination through an Accredited Training Organization (ATO) such as KnowledgeHut--a Certified Partner of AXELOS.
One can attend a training course with an ATO or study privately and then book an online examination, either through the ATO or PeopleCert.
The PRINCE2 project management framework is composed of four integrated elements namely:
- Principles- the building blocks upon which the themes and processes are based
- Themes- the knowledge areas or aspects which need to be continuously addressed throughout the life cycle of a project
- Processes -which tell who does what and when, and lastly
- Tailoring the environment which implies sizing the project to suit the needs of the project environment.
The weightage given to them in the Foundation Exam is
- Projects & P2 -8%.
One must master the Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 Manual (2017) in order to pass the Foundation exam. The Foundation exam is a stepping stone to gain the Practitioner credential and what you study here will be of relevance even in the Practitioner exam.
Foundation Exam Pattern
This exam comprises 60 Multiple Choice Questions to be completed in a duration of 1 hour. The pass percentage is 55%. The exam will include 5 questions on key concepts of PRINCE2 like characteristics of a project, Six aspects of project performance, Integrated elements of PRINCE2 , benefits of PRINCE2 and customer /supplier environment etc., about 8 questions on Principles, 3 to 5 questions on each theme and 2 to 3 questions on Processes. Four options will be given for each question. Make sure to read the problem statement carefully before ticking one out of the four options. There is no negative marking, so make sure to attempt all the questions.
Eligibility for Foundation Examination
There are no set eligibility criteria to attempt the Foundation exam. But it is recommended that you should have a basic understanding of the Principles of project management or have completed a generic management course, or you could be working in an organization in a support role.
Passing the Foundation Examination
- Study the PRINCE2 Manual thoroughly
- The Purpose of each theme or process should be clear and noted.
- Know key words for each section. For eg. ‘fit for purpose’ means that the question is about Quality theme, while ‘Desirable, Viable, Achievable’ relate to the Business Case theme.
- Read Appendices A and C as many times as possible.
- Practice the Sample Papers of P2 Foundation Exam of PeopleCert available online.
- Many other Sample papers are also available online.
- Here is how the Instructions on the Foundation Paper appear Instructions
- You should attempt all 60 questions. Each question is worth one mark.
- There is only one correct answer per question.
- You need to answer 33 questions correctly to pass the exam.
- Mark your answers on the answer sheet provided. Use a pencil (NOT pen).
- You have 1 hour to complete this exam.
- This is a ‘closed book’ exam. No material other than the exam paper is allowed.
A sample of the questions is as below :-
What is the first step in the recommended risk management procedure?
Circle the bubble fully on the answer sheet provided against the question number with a dark pencil.
Suggested Method of Attempting a QP
- Start from Q1 and go up to Q 60. Answer as many as you know fully well.
- On second reading, attempt those that required you to think a little.
- The balance questions for which you are not a 100% sure of the answers, can be guessed. There is 25% chance that you will get it correct since there are only four options and one of them is correct. Also, keep in mind that there is no negative marking.
Benefits of Doing PRINCE2 Certification
The PRINCE2 Foundation Certification is recognized all over the world as the de facto project management methodology to drive successful projects. PRINCE2 helps you efficiently plan, initiate and control projects. The course will empower you to communicate with stakeholders and team members. You will learn to use the knowledge of 7 Principles, 7 Themes and & Processes in executing a project by breaking it into manageable stages. You will be able to manage and control Risks, Issues and Resources.
Another ability that you would pick up is writing the objectives and Scope of the project. Most projects fail because the management is not clear about the objectives of the project. In addition, if the scope of the project is not well defined, the chances of failure of a project increase.
Look at the six main aspects or variables of a project which a Project Manager has to manage.
- Risks and
The first two are of top priority. The Business Case written and amplified in the pre project processes, defines the cost and timescale besides listing the Benefits, Risks and stating the Quality requirements of the product based on the Customer’s Quality Expectations and Acceptance Criteria.
The other main aspect, that is Scope is the sum total of the project’s products and the extent of their requirements. While a Business Case tells us ‘Why’ we are doing a project, the scope tells us as to what exactly the project is delivering. It is apparent that if a project has to succeed then as a Project Manager you should be able to define the scope of the project and ensure that it is not exceeded. Gold Plating, as it is termed in Project Management, leads to failure because you will keep adding to the cost.
Cost of Foundation Examination
|In Australia||Aus. Dollar 700/=|
|India||Rs 18000 to Rs25000/=|
Accredited Training Organization (ATO)
KnowledgeHut is one of the reputed training providers worldwide, check out PRINCE2 Foundation Training to know more.
Passing the PRINCE2 Foundation exam gives you the qualification of a PRINCE2 Foundation certified professional. Gaining the PRINCE2 Foundation will help you enhance your career and equip you with expertise to manage projects in your organization. You will start getting better at understanding the objectives and scope of the project. You will know how to effectively list the requirements of the project and the stake holders, so that all requirements can be met on completion of the project. You will have the capability to logically break down a project into manageable chunks (Product Breakdown Structure- see Appx D of the manual). Above all, you will be prepared and eligible for the higher certification in the PRINCE2 suite; that is the Practitioner Credential Exam.