Projects are of strategic importance to the organizations where the projects happen. Hence it is extremely important for the organizations to ensure that the projects must be completed as expected and the strategic values from the projects must be realized. Project Manager is the person who is responsible for successfully completing the projects. The project manager has to work not just as a manager but also as a true leader.
Following are some of the goals of a project manager:
- The project manager will have to complete the projects as per the agreed triple constraints of scope, time and cost. The entire scope of work must be delivered. The deadlines of time for various milestones must be met. The work must be completed within the agreed cost.
- The project manager has to help the organization to achieve the true expected value from the project.
- The project manager will have to ensure that the projects are delivered in the most efficient manner. The project manager needs to identify the right team, develop complete project plans and execute the project work with regular monitoring and controlling and finally close the projects by using the proven project management methodologies.
- The project manager will have to ensure the client and stakeholder expectations are being fulfilled.
- The project manager will get the project work completed with the help of a great team. The project manager’s goal will include acquiring the best resources for the project. Build a great team through leadership and team building methods. Keep the team members well skilled and motivated.
- The project manager needs to work very closely with senior management to understand the business needs well and help them in achieving them.
- The project manager needs to work with various other functional groups within the organization. Hence the project manager needs to build excellent rapport with all groups to get their support for the project.
- The project manager also needs to work very closely with diverse stakeholder groups to understand their expectations, safeguard their interests and make all of them supportive towards the project with their contribution.
- The project manager needs to develop next line of leaders in the team. Hence the project manager needs to train, coach and mentor them. The project manager needs to share his/her experiences with others regularly.
- Needs to create an atmosphere of trust and collaboration. The project manager needs to encourage knowledge sharing among the team members.
- The project manager needs to keep providing the project status and forecasts to the stakeholders in a simple yet effective manner.
The project manager has to work closely with various people and organizations to successfully deliver a project. Hence some of the key goals will be to develop great relationships with all such groups and people, have a great team, build an atmosphere of knowledge sharing and collaboration, develop the plan for the project work for successful project completion.