Good writing is essential in the business world. Without it, you may be seen as less professional and even passed over for jobs and promotions. It’s simple to improve your writing, though. Try these ten hacks to improve your writing and editing, and write your way to the top.
1. Write regularly
The more you write, the better you’ll get it. It’s like any skill, you have to practice at it until you get better. Try writing for 30 minutes a day to hone your skills.
2. Pay attention to other people’s writing
There will be people in your profession who you admire. Look at the way they write. What is it about them that speaks to you? Identify what it is, and try and use it in your own writing
3. Never forget to proofread
Proofreading is essential, without it your writing will suffer. Everyone makes mistakes, so you’ve got to make the time to sit and edit them out before you send that email. It makes you look much more professional and polished.
4. Stick to the point
Don’t be tempted to be overly wordy, or use over complicated jargon. It can confuse the reader, and make them feel as if you don’t actually want them to read your writing. Stick to the point, and don’t go on for longer than you need to.
5. Read your writing aloud
You’ll feel silly, but it’s the perfect way to spot any errors in your writing. It’s because you’re forced to look at it from a different perspective. Sit down and read it aloud slowly, taking care to notice where you stumble over words, or find the wrong word in the wrong place.
6. Use the active voice
Using the passive voice makes you sound as though you’re nervous or unsure. Obviously, you want to avoid this. Use the active voice to become much more forceful in your writing.
7. Use online tools
There’s plenty of tools out there that can make writing and editing easier. Here’s some of the best for you to try:
- Easy Word Count: This site highlights your mistakes when you paste text in.
- Assignment Help: This website is a great grammar resource if you need to look a rule up.
- Essayroo: The proofreaders here can check your writing and polish it up.
- Academized: This site features an excellent grammar guide.
- UK Writings: Writing assistance available for whatever you’re writing.
- Cite It In: Help with citations for third party sources in your text.
- Boom Essays: Editors on hand for when you need them the most.
8. Write a strong first sentence
You want to bring the reader in right away, so start with a strong first sentence. Why should they read this? How will this benefit them?
9. Don’t try and edit while you’re writing
As you write, you may think that last sentence sounds a bit weak, or that word wasn’t the word wasn’t the one you wanted to use. Don’t edit though, until you’re done with the draft. You can end up spending more time editing than writing otherwise.
10. Ask for help
You don’t have to write on your own. Show your writing to people you trust, and ask for their opinion. They’ll be able to give you a valuable outside opinion on what you’re writing.
As you can see, it’s not too hard to improve your writing. Try these hacks and tools to get your writing up to speed. You’ll be amazed at how far it can get you.