What is Front-End Development?
Web development is one of the most demanded industry skills today. In this article will explain what Front End Developer do, and what skills are required. This will help you become a modern front-end developer.
What Does a Front-End Developer Do?
Maintaining User Interface
Making Responsive Site
Responsive web design is about creating web pages that look good on all devices. A responsive web design will automatically adjust for different screen sizes and viewports. Every Front-End developer needs to make sure their website is responsive and also, make sure the website is compatible with every device.
Mouse and touch-screen friendly elements
Responsive websites must accommodate smartphones by ensuring that every action is accessible through touchscreen. Links must be large and obvious on small screens, and scrolling must be easy across every device types.
Common Tasks of a Front-End Developer
There are some roles and responsibilities every front-end developer should know:
- Develop and implement a highly-responsive user interface.
- Develop and Front-End architecture to support User interface concepts.
- Build reusable components and front-end libraries for future use.
- Monitor and improve front-end performance.
- Integrate designs and wireframes within the application code.
- Fixing Bugs and testing the application using tools.
- Following SEO practices.
Front-End Development: Commonly Used Programming Languages
- CSS: Cascading Style Sheets is a stylesheet language used to describe the presentation of documents written in HTML. CSS describes how elements should be rendered on screen, or in other media.
- Web Security: There are many aspects of building website security. They are HTTPS, CORS, Content Security Policy, Session/Cookie, AuthN/AuthZ, Secret Key Management, OWASP Security Risks.
Front-end Developers use various combinations of tools to make websites as per their needs such as:
1. Code Editors Tools
An IDE tool is a program where the front-end developers work to write codes for their websites and web applications. Working with code editors various factors are important to keep in mind while working like optimized performance, editors features, Code reference and Customizable. Some of the top code editors like Visual Studio Code, Notepad++, Sublime Text, and PyCharm.
2. Design Tools
Design tools are general-purpose programs that UX designers create and edit assets for use in designs. Before front-end Developers start coding, they can use design tools to create a prototype and wireframes for their websites, which also helps them to test and experiment with the UX design. A few of the most used UI design tools include AdobeXd, Figma, and Adobe Photoshop.
Skills for Front-End Development
In this section, we will cover some additional skills required to work as a front end developer.
1. CSS preprocessor, Frameworks
A CSS preprocessor is a program providing some additional features from pure CSS. There are a couple of popular CSS preprocessors e.g. Less, Sass, and Scss. You can also use the CSS frameworks for designing an attractive UI.
Here are a few lists of options: -
- Bootstrap:- It is an open-source and free to use, and it also provides various features related to HTML and CSS templates for UI interfaces.
- TailwindCSS:- Tailwind CSS is a utility-first CSS framework to rapidly build custom user interfaces. It provides classes like flex, pt-4, text-center and rotate-90.
- ChakraUI:- ChakraUI is simple, modular and accessible component library that provides you the building blocks to build your React applications.
- MaterialUI:- Material UI is a comprehensive library of components that provides features like flex, grid, container and other material icons.
2. API and Restful services
A front-end developer will also make use of API and Restful API services. You should have knowledge of an API(Application Programming Interface) Integration. Representational state transfer is software architecture to guide the design and development of the architecture for the World Wide Web(www).
3. Creating Responsive Designs
Responsive web design that aims to make web pages render well on a variety of devices and screens. You should also be aware of media query, flex-box and grid for responsive layout for the webpage.
4. Testing and Debugging skills
As you are developing your application, there will be errors in your code that need fixing. Debugging is a process for identifying the errors in the code and fixing them.
Benefits of Being a Front-End Developer
We all know how important the front end plays in the entire scenario of a website, whether it’s design and elements or the entire well-organized structure to make everything perfect and work smoothly. Here are some benefits while working on your upcoming projects.
Rapid Development and User-Driven outcomes
Using certain modern frameworks will enable you to work faster development of elements.
One more feature in the cap while using a framework in front end development is that the coding is fully secured.
Easy to Learn, Use and Scale Up Technologies
Today most of the modern frameworks and technologies preferred for front development have passed through the most stringent features and is user friendly.
Advanced Features and Layouts
While working on a feature or element built for the website, is a major concern for developers to ensure its robustness. Frameworks that are used by front-end developers will provide extra features for the development of a powerful website.
Front-end developers are a vital part of the development teams. You can either train to be a front-end developer or take a fullstack developer course that provides you a hands-on experience of working with all aspects of the software development lifecycle.
How Can You Get a Job as a Front-End Developer?
Once, you complete the technical aspects of the front-end development, you can start applying for the jobs through various portals.
Before applying for jobs make sure you have developed your skills and are ready for the interview.
Follow these steps:-.
- Get Informed:- Get acquainted by reading articles and books about front-end development. By knowing how things work on the website, you can make a better understanding of various coding languages.
- Enhance Your Skills: - Check out some of the tutorials, tools, and open-source projects. Resources such as Knowledge Hut, Documentation etc.
- Resume Building:- A perfect resume is the highway to get yourself notice by headhunters. You can perfect your resume using various resume builder templates that suite your purpose.
- Jobs Portals:- You can apply for jobs through social media and various job portals such as LinkedIn, Angel list, Indeed, and Company career sites.
Front-end development is one of the most sought-after roles in the IT industry today and a lot of aspirants enroll in Front-End Development Course to improve their skills and crack your interviews with ease.
More Practices That Go Into Front-End Development
You can become a front-end Developer. If you follow these simple steps.
1. Learn front-end Skills
Here’s one that everyone talks about i.e. “Practice makes perfect” comes into play. Start building a small application into a big application.
3. Learn Command Line
It’s a good idea to get at least a basic of concepts like displaying files and file system navigation.
4. Learn Version Control
There is an impressive selection of version control systems to choose from, but if you want to go with the most popular, go with Git and Bitbucket.
5. Take a Course
Take a front-end development course that will help you to upskill your knowledge and boost your confidence. Also, if you want to learn more about front-end take this course Knowledgehut front-end Development bootcamp which will help you to develop your skills and knowledge towards the front-end development concepts
Looking to level up your Python skills? Discover the best intermediate Python course that will take your coding abilities to new heights. Unleash your potential with this unique and catchy program. Don't miss out, enroll today!
Front End development primarily focuses on User Experience. Using the coding and design techniques, you as a front-end developer build the element of an application that are directly accessed by the end-users with the goal of easy to use, fast, and secure, user engagement and interactions. But thanks to the latest design and technologies which helps to build sophisticated design and interactive designs.
A major trend in front-end development in recent years has increased due to the use of mobile and smart devices. Therefore, front-end developers must ensure that their applications are consistent, fast and high-quality user experience for all the devices. That’s very big challenge.
This is the guidance or learning path, not the rules. The objective is to accommodate the learning based on the experience of the people in the community. I hope this will help you to understand the role of the front-end Developer.