Scrum is a crucial part of software development. It is designed for the teams having at least 10 individuals. The development cycle consists of two-weeks of Sprint cycle. Also, it can be called Daily Scrum. This approach can be used to scale Scrum to the larger organizations involving Large-Scale Scrums and “Scrum of Scrums”.
Scrum is an incremental, step-wise agile software development. The Scrum framework provides a flexible way to the team members to work collaboratively to reach a common goal. In Daily Scrum, meetings are arranged at the same place and time each day. Ideally, this meeting is held in the morning, as it is suitable to decide the work for the day. These Daily Scrums last up to 15 minutes. Though, this discussion is brisk, it unfolds more relevant information about work.
We all know that Scrum teams are incomplete and loosely defined without the Scrum Masters. The role of the Scrum Master is fairly diversified. A good Scrum Master facilitates relays all critical aspects to the teams and has the ability to apply them depending on the situation. So you can consider Scrum Master as a facilitator between the team members. The different roles of the Scrum Master can be well identified from the following diagram.
Scrum Master as a Facilitator:
You can call Scrum Master as a facilitator. Let us see what exactly the Facilitator means! The Facilitator can be defined as- “someone who helps the individuals to understand the work, choosing implementation strategy to achieve the goals”. It can be well understood by the key elements:
● Assisting team members in achieving their objectives,
● Like ‘neutral’, not at particular side,
● Supports everyone to achieve the best’
● Allows collaboration and interaction over the work,
Participants of the Daily Scrum-
● Product Owner
● Team Members
● Scrum Master
It is not an obligation for the Scrum master to personally attend all the Scrum events. But Scrum Master should ensure that some of the following tasks are done:
● The use of the Sprint should be well, to create a ‘done’, useful, releasable built.
● There be a proper use of the Daily Scrum, to inspect the team’s progress.
● Sprint Planning is in use to discuss, plan and agree on the deliverables which can be done on the same day.
● Sprint Review is in use, to inspect the developed build.
● Finally, Retrospective can be used properly to ensure continuous delivery and discuss the existing constraints.
How does the Scrum Master facilitate within the Scrum Framework?
Lyssa Adkins offers a good description in her book ‘Coaching Agile Teams’:
“A Scrum Master should facilitate by creating a “container” for the team to fill up with their ideas and innovations. The container, often a set of agenda questions or some other lightweight (and flexible) structure, gives the team just enough of a frame to stay on their purpose and promotes and environment for richer interaction, a place where fantastic ideas can be heard. The coach creates the container; the team creates the content.”
A great facilitator should be able to:
● Facilitate the Scrum process to the team members and look for continuous improvement in the process
● Facilitate the team in achieving their objectives towards the project
● Listen to understand the scenario
● Plan and govern a meeting with responsibility
● Facilitate friendly relationship between the teams
● Integrate the Scrum teams
● Help things to happen confidently
In case, Scrum Master fails to remove barriers like technical issues directly himself/herself, he/she can forward this responsibility to one of the trusted team members. The majority of teams conduct Daily Scrums by playing ‘poker activity’. In this, each individual has to pick one poker card to decide the priority of work. Accordingly, the task is assigned to the teams. Facilitating for the teams require mastering the Scrum Master skills. Grabbing the skills require time, continuous analysis, practice and continuous improvement. To enable best Scrum practices in organizations, you can get certified from a reputed training institute.