Opting for PMP certification or Project Management Professional Certification is the best way to boost your career manyfold. You need to know about the fact that before you are thinking to opt for PMP certification and have a detailed study about its chances and scopes; you need to know about the criteria and eligibility that is the driving force behind choosing the PMP course. The reason for informing the eligibility criteria in details is that it will be the sole factor in deciding the benefits of your post-certification career growth. Unlike other eligibility that is total marks driven, the ability and the requirement for the Project Management Professional certification is mainly based on the management professional or the project managers who are already working on numerous projects. Such certification can boost your existing career manyfold and equip you with in-depth knowledge about the better management of the organizational tasks and deadlines with more experience and confidence.
The requirement and aftermath of PMP completion
The main question that arises is what you need to do after completing the PMP certification. If you have already completed the PMP Certification, it does not mean that you have already completed your pursuance of excellence. Achieving a PMP certification means that you have entered into the growing world of the effective project managers that is an ever growing community of effective managers. So after you get the PMP certification you need to maintain PDU. So what is PDU? PDU or Professional Development Units are the credentials that you need to earn to maintain your certification of the PMP for three years. It is one of the compulsory parts and parcel of the Continuation Certification Program of Project Management Institute. So you can see that PMP earning is the first stepping stone for what makes you an expert in managing the projects. You need to earn a specified number of PDU in order to maintain the credential of you PM in the period of three years cycle. Depending on the number of PDU, you can opt for the below-mentioned certifications post PMP.
- Initially, in order to maintain the PMP, you need a number of PDUs in a three-year cycle which is 60 PDU.
- After earning 60 PDU s you can opt for the Project Management Professional Course by applying with your 60 earned PDU credits.
- If you are interested in handling the management of your schedules in your organization’s project then you can go for the Scheduling Professional Course or PMI-SP for which you need to earn 30 PDUs.
- The Risk Management Professional Course is the one which involves the use of the Risk Management module to provide your insight about the tackling of the issue in case any emergency arises in the project. For this you need to earn additional 30 PDU for earning the PMI-RP course in addition to the 60 PDU earned for PMP.
- If you do not want to add additional PDU, then you can go for the Certificate Associate Project Manager. For this, you can just maintain your 60 PDU that you need for credibility of PMP. Rest additionally you need to take the CAPM examination every five year to renew its certification. The only thing you need to meet the eligibility criteria for this course is having an active PMP certification.
Expert PMP professional Greg Cimmarrusti said, “Being a project manager is like being an artist, you have the different colored process streams combining into a work of art.” Taking a cue from the wisdom, Peter Drucker once quoted, "management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."
The requirements for the certification
Clearly speaking the capability and the entry for the admission to the PMP depends on your professional efficiency. You need to have a prescribed amount of experience in handling a particular length of the project within a stipulated period.
The aim of the PMP certification itself is that to empower all the professionals and management moguls with the better perception and insight that will help to improve the scenario of business. If you’re equipped with relevant work experience and capability, then you will definitely take into account the examination that will lead you to become certified ultimately. Apart from the academic qualification, you need to have a copy and authorized document Project Management Education that you got from your company or organization under where you are working. Project Management Education is not a separate course. Instead, it is a part of the on-job training that is provided by your training manager concerned. Completion of the training you can receive a certificate or authorized document that is necessary for showing at the time of Project Management Program Certification examination.
A real-life case study on the aftermath of PMP certification
- To make your understanding clear on the role and responsibility of PMP certification, you must take detailed note on the following research that is given. A study was conducted on one of the renowned Pharmaceutical Company where Project Management Education was taken seriously to meet its internal challenge of functioning. This company had three facets that are operational units- Process Solution, Bioscience and Lab Solution.
- Due to the diversification of departments with employees who have adequate medical knowledge but still were unable to manage everything efficiently was a worrying trend. In the scenario, an adept management skill was necessary for the efficient turnover of the company and giving it a standard process and giving growth to functioning. So 400 employees in total were initially chosen and provided training on thirty different courses on project management over a period three years.
- After the training was completed, it was noted that the participants were able to implement ere learned knowledge efficiently on the functioning of the organization. The challenges were met efficiently and even after the firm was taken over by another larger firm; it had a considerable amount of output. The model of success was followed and implemented by other organizations as well.